Friday, December 18, 2009

Tonsillectomy Chronicles Day 4

I know, I know..I'm starting out on day 4 instead of 1. If I would've had the energy to write during days 1-3, I most certainly would have! So far, recovering from an adult tonsillectomy is much like what I've read and also NOTHING what I expected. I have had so many strep throat experiences my whole life that I thought I could deal with the soreness and the inability to swallow comfortably. Holy cow! I was not expecting to feel like someone was stabbing my throat with a few sharp steak knives! On day 1, I did just as I had read and kept drinking the water and eating the jell-O. I felt I was doing well considering many of the blogs I have read showed that some couldn't even get the water down. I was good snuggled in my bed watching my game show network all day. That Carnie Wilson is a hoot on The Newlywed Game! Oh and I now know the names of every single Deal or No Deal model. I had read not to sleep too long and boy was that right. If you sleep longer than 5 minutes, you will regret it! You have to choke down some water on a throat that is as dry as the Mohave Desert and start over. You really don't think about the fact that your sinuses are all messed up too and you just can't breathe out of your nose. So, you are left to sleep with your mouth gaping open, drool coming out and all the while just drying up all the work you've done up until naptime. So, I figured that out. If I started to drift off, I would feel the pain set in and wake up pretty quick to down the water. That pretty much sums up my first two days. The dreaded day 3 came and everyone was right about it being bad. The ear pain sets in. Well, nobody said that day 3 was a set up for flippin' day 4!! I decided to go ahead and dope up and try to sleep through some of the ear pain. It was way too bad. Oh and note to self: don't eat anything salty. Bart made me some yummy thinned down mashed potatoes with chicken broth. Tasted really really good until the salt settled in to every single open wound I had in my mouth. Holy guacamole. One thing I've learned that I love is rice pudding!! Feels so good on my throat and is equally yummy. It seems to hurt worse when you eat but I know I need to keep eating to feel better so I try and push through that.

Day 4- Thankful for my husband for taking care of me these last few days as well as my kids. Get this- they have actually been relatively quiet! They come in to ask if I need anything and take away any jell-o or pudding containers etc. I sure hope I don't ruin Christmas by still being sickly! I've been worried about that.

Oh and Bart sent Reese to school in a princess play costume one day. I'm glad the teachers know I'm out of commission. I bet that was a good laugh.

One last thing for day 4- Thanks to my friends that have brought me goodies. I know I can't eat much so thanks for thinking about me and hooking me up. You know who you are!
I'm going to try to go to the game tomorrow. We have a double header. It's funny that I'm even typing that because I haven't even been able to make it to the kitchen and back to bed much so we'll keep our fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment