Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Ross's Birthday


Not much exciting happened today for Ross's 9th birthday. I got him up, dropped him off to school and then headed out to find the game he had been asking for. He had basketball practice tonight so we didn't get to plan too much and his first game is this Saturday so if there will be a party, it will be in a couple of weeks. It's hard to believe my big boy is nine years old! Seems like just yesterday I was a scared 23 year old wondering what in the world was going to happen to my life as I tried to prepare the best that I could for a little one. I couldn't imagine a better experience for a firstborn than what I had with Ross. He was a sweet baby and has grown up to be a sweet boy. Quite the little genius and a great big brother. Always wanting to please both me and Bart and so sensitive to others feelings.

I picked Reese up today and before I could get out of the parking lot, I noticed the school nurse had tried to call. I had Reese with me so I knew it must have something to do with Ross. I worried that maybe he was getting sick like the other two have been. Why hadn't they called me sooner though? I barely listened to the message and tried to call back up to the school. I drove slow in case I had to go in there to pick him up. When I finally reached "Nurse Nancy", I had to try to hold back the giggles. Ross isn't inheriting the cold from his siblings, he is inheriting his mother's eyesight! Yes, Ross has been having trouble seeing the chalkboards and the teacher sent him to the nurse only to find that he failed the vision test. I knew this day was coming but didn't quite expect it this soon. Happy Birthday Ross and welcome to the unfortunate world of bad vision. Your mother has it, your aunt has it, your mother's mother and father and, well, you get the idea. So, tomorrow morning, we will set out to find out just how bad it is for now. I'm hoping and praying he only needs glasses for school work at the moment. There is plenty of time for his eyes to get worse..believe me. I am very thankful that there are stylish frames out there now and that one of his good buddies wears glasses as well.


So, another year goes by for Ross and with it an unexpected milestone. I wore my glasses tonight and probably will tomorrow just to make him feel a little more at ease. He is actually excited. He said, "I get glasses for my birthday." Poor thing. Doesn't realize he has a full life of it ahead of him! Pictures coming soon!!

1 comment:

  1. Tell Ross "happy birthday" I intended to call or text several times this evening. When I thought about it the first time I was giving Madison a bath and didn't have my phone. Then I thought about it again when I was sitting with her on the couch to get her in bed. I had forgotten again until I saw this post!
    Hopefully we'll see you Saturday at Ethan's party.

    ReplyDelete