Saturday, December 13, 2008

So this is how you get kids to pick up toys!


After a busy week of trying to get some Christmas shopping in, I decided that after I picked up kids from school today, I was not going to do a thing! Well, most moms know that deciding to not do a thing still means doing laundry, some dishes and cleaning up after kids...just no heavy cleaning, right? I finally got this semester behind me and felt like I needed some down time. Reid is great about pulling out every single toy he owns and dragging it into the living room so I can "watch" him play with all of them. The hard part is trying to get him to pick up after himself. I know he is only 2 but he is at the perfect age to learn. It doesn't help that his big brother and sister are not exactly the perfect role models. I even tried the whole responsibility chart idea and it lasted a total of 2 or 3 days so there goes that. Today I had an epiphany! Reid loves riding his big wheel in the house. Yes, I let him do this especially right now with it being cold and its actually hard for him to ride it much outside since we live on a white rock road in the country. Well, Reid also has a little wagon he hauls his toys around in...so....can you guess where I am going with this?? I make his wagon a trailer to pull behind the big wheel. He then proceeds to drive it around the house picking up his stuff to haul. How genius am I today?? Big Wheel-$20, Wagon-$10, watching your 2 yr old drive it around picking up after himself-priceless!! I wonder if I can teach him to pick up the dirty dishes and clothes now?

2 comments:

  1. Oh girl! What an idea! I think I need to get one!! Do you think they have a wagon big enough for a 6 foot tall 14 year old? :)
    We missed you this week - but understand - hope everyone stayed healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Kasey loves to get every toy out also. Now she's into her legos and dumps them all over the family room. We pick them up, and then she immediately dumps them back out. :)

    ReplyDelete