Sunday, March 7, 2010

Overnight Transformation

I'm going to skip the Debbie Downer blog for later because it was a long day to experience again. Basically, car breaks down, miss class and landed in the Urgent Care center for a broken foot. On to better things.



What happened to my eldest child this week? Just a few weeks ago, I was talking to some moms about Ross not having any interest in girls yet. He could've cared less. He was more worried about Halo and sports and inventions. Then, she showed up one day in conversation. A little girl that Ross has been in class with since Kindegarten. Ross made a comment in passing that she might like him. I said, "oh...do you like her??" He shrugged his shoulders and went on. I knew the day was coming. And I guess I hoped she would be a first girlfriend for him. Cutest thing ever. Best girl athlete we have. Super smart. Perfect, right? Yeah, in about 5 more years!! A couple of days later it happened. "Mom, can you ask Bridget's mom if she can go to the movies with me/us this weekend?" Ok. OK. I can handle this. I really can. Luckily, I know her mom. That helps. We email back and forth laughing about the situation. Ha ha. HA. She comes and watches Ross play basketball Friday night AND Saturday morning. They go to Dairy Queen Friday night. Insisting they sit by themselves. My mind is a whirlwind. I can't keep up with it. My baby. MY baby. I was glad that her mom decided to go to the movies as well and we brought the younger siblings sans Reid. No way would I go there. Ross and Bridget sit alone while we sit close by. He was so handsome. So courteous. I watched them thinking both have grown up so fast. I remember them playing t-ball together....then kindergarten. Now between kids and teens, unsure of where they fit in. He is already texting her today. I think I lost my place. It is a bittersweet sting. I guess it's inevitable. I remember 4th grade all to well. The boys that liked me were jerks. Well, other than Bart, but then again, he was too shy to tell me. Glad he grew out of that!! I'm glad Ross already has good taste at his young age. And I know there will be many others. It was just like an overnight transformation. One day it was Halo and the next it was deodorant and Axe. Enjoy your childhood my love. I won't let you out of it that easily. What kind of mom would I be?

No comments:

Post a Comment