Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Group Therapy

I should be studying instead of blogging. The books are looking at me but my ADD doesn't want to concentrate on them!!



So, one of my big classes this year is Dynamic Group Counseling. It's major, because as I start out my counseling career in the Drug and Alcohol field, I will use group therapy quite a bit. I won't lie...I was a little afraid of this class. It intimidated me. I have never experienced group therapy as a patient (suprising I know) let alone ever led a group. My first week of class was interesting. I have run late every day because of the wonderful parking situation at GCC. With Reid's preschool schedule, I can't get there any earlier to at least start walking my 2 mile hike to class any earlier. I felt like everyone in class had either been in group or led a group before so I felt a little behind. My second day of class, I tried to be smart and park in the "dirt". Uh...the dirt was mud and our 4-wheel drive is out so guess who got stuck? Not only stuck, but stuck enough to have to get the maintenance guys to get a backhoe!

So obviously, my start off to the semester was definitely with a bang I guess you could say. Then something happened yesterday. We started actual group therapy. We have to learn all the theories and practice them in a group setting. Each of us has a turn in leading, in which we get the majority of our grade from. Tuesdays, our professor demonstrates that theory and Thursday, the student that picked that particular theory leads. Let's just say I have never had a class where I both cried AND got peed on. It's amazing how many abuse survivors choose counseling as a career. Paying it forward. So, yeah, I'm not quite as alone in my endeavor as I thought. This semester will be a venture of sorts. I am thinking by the time it's over, our class will not want to part. I already love my professor. I'm already empathetic with my classmates. Am I ready to lead the group? Well, I'm a little closer than I was a few days ago. Luckily, I have until March 11th!! Oh and the peed on part...well...our class is raising a baby it seems and I've been waiting on the chance to hold him. He is 4 months old. His grandmother is a student but she doesn't look like a grandmother. She is younger than my mother. Anyways, I knew he was wet when I picked him up. I didn't care. I have a feeling it won't be the last time.

I guess I better study. You know I'm going to leave with lyrics obviously. I'm thinking between two songs in my head as I write. I'll go with the shorter one. I have come to absolutely love a band called The Almost. Aaron Gillespie writes with such raw honesty. I love it. Maybe I will open MY group session with some lyrics. What do you think?


-Dirty and Left Out-
Hello, I swear I won't be too long
Hello, I promise I'll be real strong
Wait up, I just wanna tell you
Hold up, why are you still here?

I've been dirtier than you wanna know
I've left earlier than you'll ever know
Why do, you wanna be all listenin' to me
Why do, you spread your arms and tell me I'm free
Why do, you wanna be in my life
In my life

I've been dirtier than you wanna know
I've left earlier than you'll ever know

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus
There's something about your name
Master, saviour, Jesus

I've been dirtier than you wanna know
I've left earlier than you'll ever know
Jesus,Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment