Thursday, May 6, 2010

Just a Vessel

For the last two weeks, I have been a part of a team going into the Dallas Juvenile Detention Center. What a blessing it has been! I'm a little bummed that I have to have surgery again next week so I will miss all the girls terribly. Here is something I wrote about my first week! More to come...


When I first felt the desire to work with young girls at the Juvenile Detention Center, I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew it would not be easy and I knew it would not be an immediate bond. Nevertheless, God has always put His will on my heart to work with young girls in difficult situations and I was both excited and nervous to see how it would unfold. Wednesday evening, April 28th, we entered Dallas Juvenile Detention Center for our first Girls' Circle meeting. We weren't sure how many girls to expect, let alone if they would be responsive at all to our lesson and activities. I felt I had realistic goals and expectations. I knew the girls wouldn't trust me. I really wasn't even expecting them to talk to me the first day. Boy was I surprised! What started out a little awkward, ended up being a warm beginning to what I hope to be a long relationship with fourteen very special girls. Fourteen girls lined up for a seat in the circle. Not all fourteen talked openly but they did share at least their names and things they were good at. This meant more to me than any of them will ever know. As the minutes passed, the girls became even more comfortable. I know that this is just a tiny look into what the weeks to come will be. I looked into some of their eyes and saw quite a bit of hurt. I spent time on my way home praising God for breakthrough as well as some tears shed for the hurt that brought them there. They can do so much more with their lives. They can be so much more. They ARE so much more. They dream of friendships and family. Things that I have taken for granted. They dream of being loved. I can't wait to show them the love of a Father who sees passed the guilt and shame and sees them for all that they really are. I can't wait to see what God has in store for these fourteen girls He has placed in my path. I can't wait to see how He will use me for their benefit as well as His glory. I am so grateful for the opportunity. ~Ecclesiastes 4:12~

1 comment:

  1. Hello!
    Thank you for your post! This is Giovanna Taormina, the E.D. and Co-Founder of Girls Circle. I got a google alert and read your post. Congratulations on your first Girls Circle! And goodness, 14 girls is alot to have in a circle, but sounds like you handled it well. Thank you for your good work. Thank you for believing in our girls. Did you attend the Dallas training last year? All the best to you and we are here to support you in any way. Keep in touch! Join our Facebook page too. Thanks so much, Giovanna

    ReplyDelete